It is imperative that we pray faithfully for the elections, yet our hope and trust is not in the results of elections! The reality is that the spiritual and moral issues facing this nation will not be resolved in the White House, Congress, or the Supreme Court. What the United States desperately needs is another Great Awakening! The Church must experience a revival that awakens her to the life-changing power of Jesus Christ in her midst. Such a spiritual awakening within the people of God has the power to bring about true cultural transformation in this nation. The Bible commands us to pray for those who are in leadership… let’s do just that.
Seven Ways to Pray for the Elections
1) The Church
Pray today for the Church in America, that:
- Our eyes will be opened to see the hope to which we are called (Eph.1:18).
- We will experience in a fresh, new way the Presence of Christ in revival.
- Believers will be given the faith to believe that their votes will make a difference.
- A spirit of repentance and humility will be poured out upon the people of God.
2) The Voters
This requires an educated electorate who will examine the issues and the candidates and vote in a way that is best for the nation, not just their own well-being. Much prayer is needed for this critical process.
Pray today for voters in the United States, that:
- Wisdom will be sought from God (James 1:5).
- Self-interest will be laid aside for the common good.
- Discernment between truth and falsehood will be clear.
3) The Candidates
through a rigorous process that brings every aspect of their lives into public view. It has become so intense that many good individuals have chosen not to endure the sort of public scrutiny that is an integral part of the campaigning process today. Praying for candidates does not mean praying just for those you agree with or support. All are leaders and potential leaders in our nation—and as such, all need our prayers.
Pray today for candidates for office in the United States, that:
- They will take brave stands for righteousness, even when it may not be well received.
- Their families will be protected from harm and unnecessary scrutiny.
- They will surround themselves with godly advisers.
- They will focus on the issues we face as a nation and not on personal attacks on other candidates.
4) The Media
Pray today for the media in America, that:
- Truth in reporting and election coverage will become a high value.
- Media bias will disappear.
- Christianity will receive fair coverage in all reports.
- Hope will become a part of the message of the media.
5) Impact on the Nations
Pray today for the election and its impact on the world, that:
- Voters will consider the foreign policies of candidates and how they fit with biblical principles.
- The activities of other nations will not have an undue influence on our elections.
- The result of U.S. elections will serve to spread the gospel around the globe.
- The U.S. will stand firm in its commitment to Israel’s right to exist as a nation.
6) Spiritual Warfare Surrounding the Elections
Pray today around the spiritual warfare issues involved in the election, such as:
- Great awareness and discernment for the Lord’s praying people as they pray over the election.
- Physical protection for all candidates and their families throughout this campaign season.
- A strong hedge of protection around the nation itself during this time of decision.
- The unleashing of the sword of the Spirit throughout the nation, judging the thoughts and intents of the heart (Heb. 4:12).
7) The Purpose of God
Pray today for the purposes of God to be accomplished in the U.S. elections:
- Pray that the U.S. will turn and seek first the Kingdom of God.
- Pray that God will be honored in the midst of this election campaign.
- Pray for opportunities for Christians to share their faith and their values in the midst of this election process.
- Pray that the results of the 2012 elections will please the Lord and release His blessing over this nation.